NCHBA Constitution 2018
Constitution of the North College Hill Business Association
Last Updated: 2/9/2018
The North College Hill Business Association is a non-profit organization operating for the
1. To promote the businesses of North College Hill by means of financial support,
education, resources, pride, and inspiration.
2. To be advocates of the businesses and make the community a place for businesses to
Article I – Membership
1. Organization membership shall consist of four (4) types: Active, Associate, Inactive, and
1.1. ACTIVE. All Active members of the business association shall be any business
or organization that conducts business within the city limits of North College Hill
to be represented by a reputable person or persons. Each business or organization
shall be eligible for one membership and one vote, and have paid their current
membership dues for the year.
1.2. ASSOCIATE. All Associate members of the business association shall be any
individual person actively participating in the promotion of the businesses of
North College Hill. Each individual shall be eligible for one membership and one
vote, and have paid their current membership dues for the year.
1.3. INACTIVE. Former Active members who are eligible to be in the organization
but do not pay membership dues will be classified as Inactive members. Inactive
members are not considered in good standing and therefore have no Active or
Associate membership privileges.
1.4. HONORARY. In recognition of outstanding ability, accomplishment, or devotion
to the best interest of the businesses of North College Hill, a person can be given
Honorary Membership by the NCHBA. This shall be the highest honor which can
be conferred by the business association.
Article II – Executive Committee
1. The NCHBA shall elect from among its members officers who comprise the Executive
Committee. The Executive Committee shall be comprised of five (5) Executive Officers
and five (5) Board Members. Officers may implement assistants, projects teams, or
committees in pursuit of their duties, as they deem necessary.
2. The Executive Committee shall not enter the business association into any obligation or
withdraw or transfer any funds of the organization without prior approval of the NCHBA.
3. The NCHBA may impeach any office, elected or appointed. If impeached, an officer
shall be removed only by the affirmative three-fourths of voting members present at a
special hearing following the impeachment.
4. If any elected office becomes vacant, the Executive Committee shall appoint an interim
officer with the approval of the NCHBA to serve the remainder of the unexpired term.
Article III – Officers
Section 1. Elected Officers:
1. All elected officers shall be elected by the NCHBA, shall serve a term lasting for one
year or until their successor is duly elected and qualified, and shall remain voting
members of the business association during their entire term of office.
2.1. Shall preside over all meetings of the NCHBA and the Executive Committee.
2.2. Shall be the official spokesperson of the NCHBA.
2.3. Shall have the authority to sign all contracts and other documents incurred by the
NCHBA, including checks.
2.4. Shall appoint all committees for the carrying out the work of the organization and
shall be a member ex officio of each.
2.5. Shall regularly evaluate the Executive Committee.
2.6. Shall have served on the Executive Committee for a minimum of one term.
2.7. Shall complete any other duties required of the President.
3. VICE PRESIDENT.
3.1. Shall oversee the regular operations of the NCHBA.
3.2. Shall oversee the officers who are not members ex officio of the Executive
3.3. Shall coordinate recruitment in North College Hill by hosting social events,
visiting the local businesses, and promoting the operations of the organization.
3.4. Shall synchronize all prospective member contact information with the Secretary.
3.5. Shall be responsible for the satisfaction of members and their retention.
3.6. Shall chair a Membership Committee in pursuit of his or her duties.
3.7. Shall have been a voting member of the NCHBA for a minimum of one year.
3.8. Shall complete any other duties required of the Vice President.
4.1. Shall produce and maintain a directory of businesses in North College Hill.
4.2. Shall record and distribute the minutes of all meetings of the NCHBA.
4.3. Shall arrange social functions of the association.
4.4. Shall chair a Communications Committee in the pursuit of his or her duties.
4.5. Shall complete any other duties required of the Secretary.
5.1. Shall maintain the financial accounts of the NCHBA.
5.2. Shall coordinate the collection of membership dues.
5.3. Shall report the balance at all meetings of the NCHBA and Executive Committee.
5.4. Shall submit a report at the end of each fiscal year to the Auditing Committee
detailing the status of all financial accounts and all activity since the previous
5.5. Shall chair a Fundraising Committee in pursuit of his or her duties.
5.6. Shall complete any other duties required of the Treasurer.
6.1. Shall maintain and promote the history and traditions of North College Hill and
6.2. Shall maintain all records of the NCHBA, including its constitution, minutes,
policies, and procedures.
6.3. Shall serve as Parliamentarian at all meetings of the NCHBA.
6.4. Shall document and maintain an archive of the organization’s events and
6.5. Shall administer awards to the members of the NCHBA and businesses of North
College Hill as requested by the Executive Committee.
6.6. Shall complete any other duties required of the Historian.
Section 2. Appointed Officers:
1. All appointed officers shall be appointed by the Executive Committee with a
recommendation by the NCHBA. Each officer shall serve a term lasting for one year or
until their successor is duly elected and qualified, and shall remain voting members of the
business association during their entire term of office.
2. ACADEMIC LIAISON:
2.1. Shall attend all North College Hill City School District board meetings and report
to the Executive Committee.
2.2. Shall complete any other duties required of the Academic Liaison.
3. CITY COUNCIL DELEGATE:
3.1. Shall attend all City Council or related meetings and activities and report to the
Executive Committee as well as make reports to the City Council on behalf of the
3.2. Shall complete any other duties required of the City Council Delegate.
4. MEDIA COORDINATOR:
4.1. Shall coordinate the design of advertisements, posters, brochures, apparel, and
other designs, documents, and media for the organization as required.
4.2. Shall coordinate the promotion of the NCHBA, including the distribution of
advertisements and public communication.
4.3. Shall complete any other duties required of the Media Coordinator.
Article IV – Committees
1. The NCHBA shall organize those standing committees set forth by this constitution. The
NCHBA and any of its officers may organize other committees ad hoc for any purpose.
2. Except for the Executive Committee and as otherwise specified, committees shall have
the authority only to issue reports and recommendations. If an officer of the NCHBA ex
officio chairs a committee, that committee may act only under the authority and according
to the direction of that officer.
3. Except for the Executive Committee, Auditing Committee, or any committee otherwise
specified, membership in committees shall always be open to all members of the
4. Each committee may determine its own rules of order. In absence of such determination,
the rules of order adopted for meetings of NCHBA shall be the rules of order for that
5. EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE. Shall consist of the President, Vice President, Secretary,
Treasurer, and Historian.
6. AUDITING COMMITTEE:
6.1. Shall consist of three (3) members approved by the Executive Committee who
shall serve a term of one year or until their successors are duly selected and
qualified, or until removed by the NCHBA:
6.1.1. One member of the Executive Committee who shall be nominated
by the Executive Committee;
6.1.2. One member of the Fundraising Committee who shall be
nominated by the Treasurer;
6.1.3. One member of the NCHBA who is not a member of the Executive
Committee or Fundraising Committee and shall be nominated by
the Executive Committee.
6.2. Shall never consist of any person who at the time of an audit or at any point
during the period being audited had authority over the management or
disbursement of NCHBA funds, including, but not limited to, the President and
6.3. Shall oversee the accuracy and accountability of the financial records of the
6.4. Shall audit the yearly reports of the Treasurer.
6.5. Shall have the authority to inspect all financial records of the NCHBA and
request any information from the Treasurer in pursuit of its duties.
6.6. Shall issue a report of each audit to the NCHBA.
6.7. Shall complete any other duties required of the Auditing Committee.
Article V – Meetings
1. The NCHBA shall meet at least three (3) times per calendar year at a schedule approved
by the Executive Committee.
2. All officers shall attend all regular meetings, unless excused by the President.
3. Any regular meeting may be cancelled by the President due to emergency or at the
recommendation of the Executive Committee.
4. No business may be conducted without the presence of a quorum.
5. A quorum to conduct ordinary business at a full association meeting shall be a majority
of all officers of the NCHBA in addition to 10% of the total membership but no less than
eight voting members.
6. A special meeting not regularly scheduled may be called by the President, the Executive
Committee, or any ten (10) members of the NCHBA, with at least forty-eight (48) hours’
notice to the NCHBA of the time and place of the meeting. A special meeting may be
held immediately without notice due only to emergency.
7. The latest edition of Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised shall be the authority for all
matters of parliamentary procedure.
Article VI – Elections
1. Elections for all elected officers shall be held no later than the second-to-last meeting of
the calendar year, and no earlier than the third-to-last meeting of the year.
2. Candidates for election must submit a petition of candidacy no later than the regular
meeting prior to elections.
3. Members petitioning for candidacy shall be in good standing with the organization.
4. Elections shall be held at a regular meeting of the NCHBA. Candidates for President and
Vice President shall be allotted four minutes to speak and four minutes to answer
questions prior to the vote. All other candidates shall be allotted three minutes to speak
and three minutes to answer questions.
5. Elections shall be conducted by secret ballot. Members may vote for any member
qualified for the office or for no slate.
6. Active members may vote by proxy or in abstentia.
7. The NCHBA shall appoint a Tellers Committee of three members who shall collect the
ballots and count them. Illegible ballots shall be counted but may only be tallied for a
candidate by the decision of a majority of the committee.
8. When all ballots have been counted, the Tellers Committee shall report to the acting
President the number of ballots counted and tallied.
9. A majority of votes counted is required to elect an office.
10. Rounds of balloting shall be held for each office until a qualified member receives
sufficient votes to be elected. If no majority is reached in the first round, the candidate
with the least number of votes shall be removed from the ballot.
11. All ballots cast, including ballots not counted or tallied, shall be sealed and preserved
until the officers-elect are installed, upon which the ballots shall be destroyed.
12. Officers-elect shall take office no later than five (5) weeks following their election.
Outgoing officers shall relinquish all records and information pertaining to their office to
the incoming officers.
13. Upon installation, the outgoing President shall administer the following oath of office to
the incoming Executive Committee: “I, in the presence of the North College Hill
Business Association, solemnly promise that I will perform the duties of my office as set
forth by the Constitution of the North College Hill Business Association to the best of my
ability and in the best interests of the city of North College Hill. I hereby dedicate myself
to the promotion of the ideals of the organization and preservation of its honor.”
Article VII – Impeachment
1. An affirmative vote of two-thirds of voting members present at a meeting of the NCHBA
is required to impeach any officer, elected or appointed. Cause for impeachment includes,
but is not limited to, gross negligence, inability to execute the duties of office, behavior
that is unlawful or unbecoming of a member or officer, and any action inconsistent with
the ideas or image of the NCHBA.
2. At least one week, but not later than two weeks, following impeachment, a hearing shall
be held at which all evidence and testimony supporting the charges shall be presented to
the impeached officer and at which the impeached officer may answer the charges. The
hearing must be publicized according to the same requirements as a special meeting.
3. All evidence and testimony supporting the charges must be released to the NCHBA no
later than three days following impeachment or one week prior to the hearing, whichever
is later. No further evidence or testimony may be admitted after this time.
4. If the hearing does not result in the removal of the officer, the officer shall be acquitted of
the charges and may not be tried again under the same charges.
Article VIII – Finances
1. The fiscal year of the NCHBA shall be January 1 through December 31.
2. No later than two weeks prior to the end of the fiscal year, the Executive and Finance
Committee shall jointly propose to the NCHBA a budget setting forth appropriations not
exceeding projected revenues for the following fiscal year and recommending to the
NCHBA an amount of membership dues for the following fiscal year.
3. Prior to the end of the fiscal year, the Executive Committee, with the approval of the
NCHBA, shall set the amount of membership dues for the following fiscal year.
Article IX – Discrimination
This organization shall not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color,
ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, disability or handicap, religion, sexual orientation,
disabled veteran’s status or Vietnam-era veteran’s status in any of its policies, procedures or
practices. This policy applies to matters including, but not limited to, recruiting, membership,
organization activities, or opportunity to hold office.
Article X – Dissolution
1. Upon the dissolution of the NCHBA, all work, funds and property controlled by the
organization will be transferred to the school district in the form of a scholarship or to an
organization that models the NCHBA’s purpose.
2. The Executive Committee will oversee the dissolution process.
Article XI – Suspension
This Constitution may be wholly or partially suspended for the duration of a meeting of the
NCHBA by an affirmative vote of two-thirds of voting members present at the meeting.
Article XII – Amendments
This Constitution may be amended by an affirmative vote of two-thirds of members present at
the meeting. This document voids any previous revision or similar guidelines.